Saturday, October 10, 2015

The Perfect Light

This morning I woke up at 6:30, my cat doing his dance on my chest not knowing that it was Saturday and I didn't have to get up like usual. But I was already awake anyway, and so got up after the obligatory cat snuggles.

I decided to cast on. And not just anything, a pair of Cookie A socks called Sam from her book Sock Innovation. The yarn is this gorgeous deep purple hand dye that has shots of light lavendar. Since I hate pooling, Sam is a great pattern for this yarn. Sam has an all over cable pattern on the cuff that keeps the stitches shifting, preventing pooling in the crosses.

The sun rises at 7 this time of year. I had a cup of tea, everything ready to go and I started casting on. Remember when I said deep purple yarn? It's just one shade easier to knit with than black yarn. But only just. I finish casting on (Jenny's Surprisingly Stretchy Cast On, of course) and start working the ribbing when I realize I am sitting with my back to the sun and it has risen just enough for sunlight to come streaming over the back of my chair and onto my hands. Onto my knitting.

It was the perfect light to see this deeply dyed yarn and work the beginning.

No comments: